National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Buffalo & Western New York has served the region since 1984 and continues to support, educate and advocate for families and caregivers of individuals affected by mental illness. A non-profit agency, NAMI’s dedicated volunteers and members work together to improve the lives of all who face the challenges of mental illness every day. We are an IRS tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization, EIN 22-2573563.
An organization of hundreds of families and friends who have a loved one with serious mental illness, our volunteer leaders and staff have many years of experience coping with the illnesses of their own loved ones and with the mental health system. We are committed to assisting, educating, and supporting other families facing the challenges of mental illness and recovery.
NAMI in Buffalo & Western New York is affiliated with NAMI National, which has more than 250,000 members in more than 1,200 affiliates across all 50 states. We are also one of some 30 NAMI New York State affiliates.
NAMI Buffalo & Western New York’s services and programs include:
- Support and referral service for families of loved ones with mental illness. A HelpLine run by trained support volunteers is available.
- Monthly family support groups, in person and online.
- Free 8 or 9-week Family-to-Family course for families with a loved one with a mental health condition.
- Education meetings with guest speakers.
- Education and awareness in schools and communities.
- Free distribution to families of “The Mind Matters” Guide to Services.
- E-news updates and newsletter.
- Advisement and referrals for families and individuals coping with mental illness.
- Member lending library of mental health books and media materials.
- Conferences and workshops.
- Six-week Homefront course tailored for families of veterans dealing with military transition, post-deployment, and other mental health related challenges like PTSD.
- Legislative advocacy for improved treatment, services and more research.
- Stamping out the stigma of mental illness.
- Community projects such as holiday gift project.
NAMI Buffalo & Western New York is an affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for millions of Americans affected by mental illness. Begun from a small group of families gathered around a kitchen table in 1979, NAMI has blossomed into the nation’s leading voice on mental illness. Today, it is an association of hundreds of local affiliates, state organizations, and volunteers who work in communities to raise awareness, and provide support and education.